AcademicBlue℠ Benefit Information
Academic Blue℠ Advantages of Membership
Health Insurance Plan Information
Want to enroll, please click here
Undergraduate students: You must be enrolled for at least nine (9) credit hours during the fall or spring semesters or three (3) credit hours if you are enrolling for summer only coverage. If you are in your last semester before graduation and you need fewer than nine (9) hours, you may continue to have coverage. (You have this option only once during your attendance at OU.)
Graduate students: You must be enrolled for five (5) credit hours during the fall or spring semesters, three (3) credit hours if you are enrolling for summer only coverage, or two thesis or dissertation credit hours. If you are in your last semester before taking your thesis or dissertation, and you need fewer than five (5) credit hours, you may continue to have coverage. (You have this option only once during your attendance at OU.)
Disabled students: If you are not enrolled as a full-time student, but you have a documented disability and have successfully petitioned the university for full-time status, you may be eligible to enroll in the Plan.
International students (Norman Campus): Non-immigrant international students (on an “F” visa or “J1” Visa) taking credit hours are automatically enrolled unless a waiver is granted. Center for English as a Second Language (CESL) students are also automatically enrolled unless a waiver is granted.
CESL Students: Please contact the CESL office for enrollment and/or benefit questions.
Students in a distance learning program are not eligible for OU student health coverage.
We're becoming more environmentally friendly by going paperless this year! All enrollment will now be online, allowing you to enroll with more convenience and ease.
Open Enrollment Periods
Domestic and International Students
Students with a Qualifying Event
Click the button below to Enroll in 2020-2021 Medical Coverage if you meet the requirements of a Qualifying Event after 08/19/2020.
International Waiver Information
Summer - 05/17/2021 - 05/31/2021
International Waiver Requirements
International students are automatically enrolled in the SHP. All international students are required to maintain coverage that meets the minimum requirements of their visa and complies with the requirements of the ACA. The OU SHP meets all these requirements.
Question 1 - Does my plan meet at least one guideline?
International Students may be granted a waiver from enrolling in the OU SHP for any semester that the student:
- Is eligible for, and enrolled in, the OU employee group health plan, or other employer sponsored ACA compliant group health plan.
- Provides evidence that he or she is eligible for, and enrolled in, ACA compliant individual coverage purchased through the Exchange (HealthCare.gov), or other ACA compliant individual coverage purchased from an insurance carrier that is based in the United States.
- Provides evidence that the student is eligible for, and enrolled in, coverage that is backed by the full faith and credit of the government of the exchange visitor’s home country and is provided through an ACA compliant plan or policy in writing in English,
- Is sponsored by the US government or other sponsoring entity that has guaranteed payment of all the student’s medical expenses, and repatriation and evacuation expenses.
- Documents must be written in English and reflect U.S currency ($)
- Is enrolled exclusively in distance learning classes at the university.
If the answer is YES, please proceed:
Question 2 - Does my plan meet all of the requirements?
Health care coverage for International Students must meet the ACA requirements for MEC (Minimum Essential Coverage). Such Coverage must provide, at a minimum:
- MEC as required by the ACA with no annual or lifetime limits,
- No exclusions for pre-existing conditions,
- Preventive care and women’s health care as required by the ACA covered at 100%,
- An annual deductible not greater than $500,
- Coinsurance that does not exceed 30% of allowable charges under the plan,
- Policy must include a list of the exclusions,
- Policy must be in English,
- Policy must be in US dollars, and
- International Students must also maintain coverage for repatriation of remains to their home country and medical evacuation to their home country. The benefit for repatriation may not be less than $25,000, and the benefit for medical evacuation may not be less than $50,000.
Note: Short-term Limited Duration plans (sometimes referred to as “travel plans”), or other similar health plans created for the purpose of providing coverage to International Students or non-immigrant visa holders, do not meet the requirements for International Students health coverage.
If the answer is YES, please proceed:
IMPORTANT: Please have the following documents on hand before you begin the application process.
- A copy of your insurance card front/back
- A copy of your insurance policy summary
If you answered “YES” to the above questions, please click the appropriate link to submit your waiver request.